Turnip Red Bean Stew
This is a hearty stew that makes a great winter meal. I always add a dash of balsamic vinegar to my stews as it adds a brightness to the dish that brings out the flavor of the veggies and beans. -Farmer Kirstie
6 medium purple top turnips
1 lb carrots or any other root veggie
2 cans of red beans
1 cup of veggie broth
1 chopped onion
1 tsp coriander
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp olive oil
1.5 tbsp balsamic vinegar
feta or sour cream for topping (optional)
1) Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in stew pot and add spices. Simmer and stir for 30 seconds.
2) Add chopped onion and stir to coat with spices. Cook onion until soft.
3) Add veggie broth, beans, chopped turnips and other root veggies
4) Place lid on pot and steam veggies until they are tender, about 20 minutes.
5) When cooked add balsamic vinegar to the stew and mix thoroughly.
5) Serve with sprinkling of feta or sour cream