Thyme Scented White Bean Cassoulet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut carrot
- 1 cup (1/2-inch-thick) slices diagonally cut parsnip
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cooked Great Northern beans
- 3/4 cup organic vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme (triple the amount for fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce grated fresh Parmesan cheese (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 links Italian sausage, thawed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, parsnip, and garlic; cover and cook 5 minutes or until tender.
Place in a 5-quart electric slow cooker. Add beans and next 6 ingredients (through bay leaf). Cover and cook on low 8 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, and butter in a small bowl; toss with a fork until moist. Stir breadcrumb mixture and sausage into bean mixture; sprinkle with parsley.