Mixed Green Salad with Carrots and Peas
- 3 carrots, shredded
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 2 tablespoons miso
- 1/2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into small pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 5 cups salad mix, lettuce or spinach
- 1 cup sugar snap peas
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted peanuts, chopped
To make the vinaigrette, place carrots, rice vinegar, water, miso, ginger and pepper in a blender or food processor. Blend until a thick paste is achieved, scraping down sides of bowl often. Add oil in a thin steady stream, blending to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more miso or pepper to taste.
Water can be added if a thinner consistency is desired. Add the sugar snap peas to boiling water and cook until just crisp-tender, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer peas to a bowl of ice cold water to stop the cooking. Drain peas, then toss with greens in a large bowl. Drizzle with the vinaigrette. Sprinkle with crushed roasted peanuts.